Pathways for Children & Youth

Frequently Asked Questions

Q ~ What is Pathways for Children and Youth?
A ~ Pathways is a Children's Mental Health Agency that provides a range of services to children, youth and families.

Q ~ Who does Pathways serve?
A ~ We serve children and youth (and their families) who are having difficulties in their lives. To be eligible for service, children/youth must be under 18 years of age, and live in either Frontenac or Lennox & Addington Counties.

Some of the children we help have difficulty with their behavior, their emotions or getting along with others. Some have experienced mental health problems such as depression, withdrawal, loss, anxiety, violence, sexual abuse, family distress, trauma, substance abuse or parent-child conflict.

Q ~ Is there any charge for services at Pathways?
A ~ Pathways' services are free. Pathways is funded by the Ministry of Children and Youth Services. We also gratefully accept donations to enable us to enhance our services.

Q ~ Are the services confidential?
A ~ All services at Pathways are provided confidentially, and we have safeguards in place to protect your privacy. We will disclose information about you/your child only if
.We have your consent
.We are required by law or regulation to do so

If you have concerns that your privacy has not been safeguarded, please do not hesitate to talk to your counsellor or to our Privacy Officer. Pathways Privacy Officer is Nicki Collins, Executive Director, and she can be reached at 613-546-8535.

Q ~ Who can make a referral?
A ~ Most of Pathways' referrals come directly from parents. Other people sometimes make a referral on the family's behalf. Referrals on behalf of a family should only occur with a family's full knowledge and consent.

Children and youth 12 years or older are able to self-refer without the knowledge of their parents. In these situations, we always discuss with the child/youth the desirability of involving their parents.

Q ~ Can someone make me go to Pathways for service?
A ~ All services at Pathways are voluntary. Other people or agencies may recommend that you come to Pathways for services, but it is your decision to participate in the services.

Q ~ How do I make a referral?
A ~ To make a referral, call Pathways Intake Service, 613-546-1422 ext 1. If you are a high school student, you can also access a Pathways counsellor through your school. Pathways also offers a walk-in clinic (see dates and hours on this website).

The counsellor will ask you about your needs and concerns. If you have any urgent mental health concerns, the counsellor will ensure they are addressed quickly. The counsellor may use a set of questions to help you decide which areas to focus on, and will share information about Pathways services that might be a good fit for you/your child and family.

Q ~ How long will it be before I see a counsellor?
A ~ Our initial telephone and face-to-face interviews are conducted by a counsellor. The first counsellor you meet will help you decide if you would like to use other services at Pathways. This may involve a transition to another counsellor for a particular service or program at Pathways.

Q ~ Where are Pathways' offices located?
A ~ Pathways offices are located across Frontenac and Lennox & Addington counties. To view our addresses, phone numbers and maps, visit our Contact Us page.

Q ~ Do I have to be seen at the office in my area?
A ~ Parents and/or youth may request services from any office site but usually find the site closest to their home the most convenient.

Q ~ What are Pathways' office hours?
A ~ Normal office hours are between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. from Monday to Friday, but you and your counsellor can discuss services outside of these hours.

Our intensive in-home counselling services normally occur during times when the whole family are at home - often after school or in the evenings.

Groups are frequently offered during evening hours.

We are open on Tuesday, for our walk-in clinic, until 8:00 p.m. (last appointment at 7:00 p.m.)

Q ~ Will a counsellor come to my home or go to my (or my child's) school?
A ~ Parents/youth and counsellors get together to plan services. This planning includes making decisions together about where the work will be done (in the home, at school or in our offices), who will participate in the work, what some of the needs are and what type of services will be provided. If the decision is to meet you in our offices and transportation is a problem, the counsellor will help the family look for possible solutions.

Pathways counsellors also have regular hours where they are available to see youth in their high school.

Q ~ Who are the Pathways' counsellors?
A ~ All of Pathways' counsellors have experience working with children, youth and families. Most have professional qualifications such as a social work degree, or a child and youth worker diploma. Many have specialized training in family therapy, play therapy and/or group therapy. Some counsellors are fluent in French.

Q ~ How does Pathways help?
A ~ The Pathways counsellor will meet with your child and family to get to know you and your concerns. The counsellor will listen carefully, sometimes use assessment tools, and then share their thoughts with you regarding what kinds of services might be useful to you and/or your family. Pathways offers a range of services that are evidence-informed - meaning that they have been shown through research and study to be helpful.

Q ~ My child may refuse to see a counsellor. May I come in anyway?
A ~ Yes. We will be glad to meet with you and discuss the situation. Together, we may be able to find a way to encourage your child to join the sessions, or you may find that it is enough to discuss different ways that you can help your child directly.

Q ~ How do I make a donation?
A ~ Pathways for Children and Youth is a non-profit, charitable organization. We are deeply grateful for all contributions we receive. Charitable donations enable us to enhance the services we provide to children and families. All donors will be issued a charitable tax receipt for the full amount of their donation. Pathways also gratefully accepts donations of gifts in kind and will issue a charitable tax receipt for the value of the gift in compliance with the guidelines set by Revenue Canada.

To make a donation or for more information, please call our Executive Assistant at (613) 546-8535 ext. 5433 or make a cheque payable to Pathways for Children and Youth and send it to the attention of:
Executive Assistant
31 Hyperion Court, Suite 100
Kingston, ON
K7K 7G3

Thank you for your support!

click here to read more

click for What's New click for FAQs
Central Intake Number
ext. 1
Central Frontenac
ext. 231
Sharbot Lake
Request for service form Request for Autism Services

For emergencies

after 4:30 p.m. and weekends please contact Addiction & Mental Health Services-Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington (AMHS-KFLA)

@ 613.544.4229

Kids Help Phone 1.800.668.6868